Thursday, July 21, 2011

Square Poufs

I will never get sick of the Moroccan pouf trend! I love them! The texture and layer they add to a room, especially the leather or kilim ones!
My favorites are the square ones, they are much taller than the round ones and seem like you could actually use them for more than putting your feet up on. Side table, extra seating, two side by side in place of a coffee table, etc.
 Here are some good square options:
Viva Terra Striped Jute Pouf $89

 Viva Terra Patchwork Kilim Pouf $189
 Calypso St. Barth Kuba Jaipuri Pouf $425

 Serena and Lily Whipstitch Poufs $148




However, even the reasonably priced ones are too expensive for me, yes I am that cheap frugal!


After Christmas last year I was shopping the clearance aisle at Ross and found a square bean bag pouf for $6.99. The color was off and I hated the fabric but it was an easy fix so I scooped it up. This week I finally got around to making a cover for it.

Here is Phin doing his best Vanna White impression.

I went back and forth for a few days about what fabric to use. I wanted to be able to move the pouf all over the house if need be, so it had to be something that would work well in any room. I almost went with a rust colored velvet but at the last minute decided on this black and white stripe.

I ended up choosing this because I wouldn't have to hem the edges. When I cut it, the edges automatically curled and you didn't see the uneven edge. Hooray for short cuts!

I cut out six 20 inch squares, lined them up so the stripes contrasted and started sewing. No pinning, no ironing.
I left one side open so I could slide the bean bag in and then stitched it closed by hand.





And here is how it turned out.





I LOVE the way it turned out!

By the way, are you pinning? I am and you can follow me right here.

No comments: