Saturday, October 25, 2014

Kitchen plans:Calling an audible


Things are plugging along here and soon I'll need to make some actual decisions about this kitchen.
(I'm still working on getting an actual floor plan together from my last post.)

 If you don't follow me on Instagram then you didn't see this Sciolari chandelier that I scored for free a few weeks ago.



I had most everything planned out for the kitchen until this beauty came along. 

I would LOVE to use it above our dining table but I'm at a loss about what other lighting to use. I was planning on using a big lantern for over the table, oil rubbed school house lights in the kitchen and a pair of those white sconces (all pictured below) on either side of the window above the banquette. All pretty different but they work together. 

kitchen option 1


The Sciolari on the other hand does not play well with others, she's a diva!
What other light fixture (in my minuscule budget) could I possibly hang within 10 feet of her!? 

This is not a rhetorical question so if you have any ideas please let me know!

The only thing that I could think of was to do recessed lighting in the kitchen and nix the sconces.

I was also planning on doing either bead board or tongue and groove vertically on every wall (see in above pic). Clean, simple and relatively inexpensive. I'm not sure that I could still do that with the Sciolari. I would probably end up doing subway tile similar to the below picture.

kitchen option 2


Thoughts?
Suggestions??

Talk it out peeps......

3 comments:

Kati from so happy home said...

Ok, form follows function, so, first: do you need the sconces, or were they just for looks? Second, what does the scale of the light look like near the beadboard? Could you run it horizontally for a more modern take on the budget friendly solution? The light is amazing, but if it doesn't work within your budget, maybe save it for a nook in the living room (to create a semi-formal dining zone)? I'm always a fan of recessed lighting in a kitchen so you can really focus on a few special hanging lights as accents. Either way, both plans are great so far!

Katie Waddell said...

Thank you!!
Sconces aren't necessarily a need but a variety of lighting is always a good thing, right? :)
I wish had room in the living room to have a table in there too but it's just too cramped. I have a console style table that was my grandmothers with a hidden leaf that we're planning on putting in the living room after we do the kitchen. If we have a lot of people over we can move the coffee table out of the living room and open the console table-it opens to about 33" deep and can sit about 6.
I haven't decided on bead board size yet but I do know that I don't want the common small width stuff. Too traditional for me! If we go that route it will either be the tongue and groove like we did in the bathroom or a wider bead board-saw something I liked at Home Depot just haven't really started sourcing stuff yet. :)

ROK said...

I think the sconce might play nicely with the chandelier, but you could also try something in brass from onefortythree.com . I would do recessed for the most part...keep all eyes on that incredible lighting. I am having trouble visualizing the beadboard with the chandelier. But that is just me, because my first reaction was "meh, paint it hot pink, emerald, something and it will look great with that beauty," and I'm guessing that wasn't in your plan ;)