Wednesday, July 31, 2013

I left my heart in San Francisco


The loveliness of Paris seems somehow sadly gay
The glory that was Rome is of another day
I've been terribly alone and forgotten in Manhattan
I'm going home to my city by the Bay

I left my heart in San Francisco
High on a hill, it calls to me
To be where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars
The morning fog may chill the air, I don't care

My love waits there in San Francisco
Above the blue and windy sea
When I come home to you, San Francisco
Your golden sun will shine for me




 I was seven years old when we moved from the Bay Area of California to Montana. I love Montana and it will always be my home but Northern California holds a special place in my heart. 
I've been missing it a lot lately.

I miss the overcast rainy days and the fog. Oh how I miss the fog! 
We don't get a lot of rain here and fog is very rare.

I remember seeing the fog come down over the hills just like this one night while driving on 280. It was amazing!

When I was little I loved going to Coyote Point, which has since changed it's name....boo!

I miss Half Moon Bay: the beaches, the pumpkin patches in the autumn and especially Barbara's Fishtrap!

I miss kelp and driftwood, ice plant with flowers.


The smell of eucalyptus. 

The beaches with their vast tide pools. 

I miss the trees; redwood, oak, cyprus and eucalyptus. 


I love how you could be in the city, in the country and at the beach all in the same day. I miss driving the Cabrillo highway through Santa Cruz down to Carmel.  

I'll take a foggy, cold beach over a warm one ANY day.

My favorite stretches of coast are along the 17 Mile Dr., Pebble Beach and Cyprus Point Golf Courses.


This video really captures the magnificent beauty and ruggedness of Big Sur and the Northern California coast; and really makes me 'home'sick!


Enjoy.

 
Meet Me in Big Sur from Andrew Julian on Vimeo.

No comments: