Saturday, June 1, 2013

Phin

Three years ago this Sunday our sweet Phinehas Isaiah was born. I'd had a complicated pregnancy that had included bed rest and having to be induced because of preeclampsia. After about 6 hours I wasn't making any progress and Phin's heart rate was dropping so they quickly prepped me for a C-section. 
Nine pound, twenty one inch Phin was born at 3:43am on June 2nd.  He had the cord wrapped around his neck twice when they pulled him out. 


Those first few seconds before you hear your baby finally cry are the longest and most frantic seconds, at least for me they are. I don't hear any other sounds in the room, I'm waiting on edge for the sweet relief that comes with my baby's first breath. Anyone else relate??

It seemed like an eternity before I could hear him crying. (It didn't help that I was strapped to an operating table and couldn't see anything that was going on.) Once he was cleaned up a little, the nurse carried him over to my left side so I could see him while they stitched me up. It was love at first sight, as it always is when you first see your baby. He had beautiful full lips and the most amazing hair I'd ever seen! Stanley was above my head talking to the nurse asking if he was doing alright (Our first son, Jude had spent his first few days in the NICU with breathing problems so he was a little worried) but I couldn't take my eyes off of Phin to even figure out what they were talking about. The only thing that I could think about was that he was crying, of course, and it made me upset that I couldn't hold him. Instinctively, I said "It's okay Phin", not thinking he would/could even hear me with all that was going on in the room and the fact that he was 6 feet away, and crying...loudly. But he did, he automatically stopped crying, turned toward me and opened his eyes. Everyone stopped and stared, Phin started crying again. I said it again and he reacted the same way. I think my heart almost exploded, it was one of the most amazing moments of my entire life.

Happy Birthday Phin! My sweet little shadow, who loves to sing and dance and snuggle. You have brought so much joy, laughter and love to our family!! We all love you so much!


























No comments: