Monday, March 18, 2013

Red.

I have never really been a fan of it!


Lipstick yes, home decor not so much. With the exception of vintage textiles of course, those always look good in red!


Until recently I haven't had any red in my home.....and hardly any in my closet for that matter. Lately I haven't been able to get it out of my head though, I've been drawn to anything and everything red. 

For me red in a home can get really tacky REALLY fast. I mean how many single red "accent walls" have we all seen!? (If you have one and love it, then more power to you it's just not my cup of tea.)

While I haven't been the hugest fan, there are plenty of homes where red is very well done.
                                                                     










                                                    (all images via Pinterest)
                                 
I like red in other peoples homes when it is done well but it's always been a hard color to get right in my own home. 

Last week I ordered this rug from esalerugs.com (who by the way is having an end of season sale that ends tonight. Up to 50% off, free rug pad and an additional 10% when you buy 2 or more rugs....GO NOW!!!!). Let me just tell you it is beautiful and the quality is outstanding! The best part? We were on a very tight budget and a 7x10 was only $150.
SCORE!
It will be going in our master bedroom with some dark emerald green walls (Behr's Billiard Table)...so pretty!

Last fall I spray painted this light fixture for the boys' room. Red is pretty effortless and a big go-to color in a boys room but it can also seem a little too juvenile sometimes. This fixture is timeless in red and will work just as well in the room when they are older.

Here are some other red things I've been loving lately


redpicks



So tell me,do you use red often in your home??

3 comments:

Meredith M. said...

It's so funny that you should post this... I used to feel the same way about red! I owned NOTHING in the color. A few years ago, something happened and I really love a pop of orangey-red in my wardrobe and my house. Definitely no red walls... even though my mother-in-law tried really hard to convince me to paint it in our dining room!

Katie Waddell said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one Meredith! :) Oh I totally agree that an orangey-red is definitely the way to go (vs. merlot or brick red.)

Erin said...

I never used to be a red fan, either...still am not in my wardrobe, but YES in decor in moderation! That rug is absolutely gorgeous.