Wednesday, December 19, 2012

What really matters....



Like everyone I was shocked by the shooting last Friday in CT.  I actually didn't even know about it until about lunch time as I hadn't been on the internet or turned the TV on all morning. After I put my kids down for their naps I sat and watched the reports for a while, it was absolutely heartbreaking.

Friday was a busy day for us so after a few minutes I turned the TV off and went about the rest of my day. I prayed a lot that afternoon!

That night my two older boys were having a sleepover at my parents house, it was Phin's (who is two) first night away from us. Stanley and I decided to go out to dinner to celebrate our anniversary, better late than never right?! When we got home I fed Isaac and put him in bed. 

Before I got in bed that night I went to close the doors to Jude and Phins rooms. As I quietly tip toed down the hallway I wondered how many parents in Connecticut were doing the same thing but for a very different reason.

My heart hurts for them.


I think that horrific situations like this make us stop and really examine what we are doing with our lives. At least it did for me. 

There are a lot of things that I don't understand or know, because 'His ways are not my ways and His thoughts are not my thoughts' (Isaiah 55:8). However, I do know that my time here is short. My life and the lives of my children are not in my control. I am a steward of these precious boys, they do not belong to me. 

That got me thinking....am I being a good steward? 

What am I doing with the time that I have been given?!

It's a question that I have really been meditating on the past few weeks and the answers that I have come up with are shameful to say the least.

Though life is complex and overwhelming at times what I should be doing with said time is quite simple...........love God and love others.

"'Jesus replied, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it:'Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments'' Matthew 22:37-40


My priorities are changing........are yours?











No comments: